top of page
  • Writer's pictureHannah Bonner

Day 3 of 40

Day 3 of 40 (Español abajo)

The following is a true story. In January of 2009, a woman, currently 37 years-old from Durango, Mexico, crossed through the Arizona-Sonora Desert.

“I crossed in January of 2009. It was a horrible experience because I walked from Nogales up to Sahuarita. [The trafficker] wanted to take us on a train but it never arrived. We suffered hunger, thirst, extreme cold weather. There came a point when I thought I was going to experience hypothermia. I couldn’t stand it, my body jumped from the cold. We lasted 5 days walking from Nogales to Sahuarita. There were a lot of hills that made it easy to trip, fall and die. It feels like you’re so close to arriving but will never actually arrive. We had to constantly be on the look out for immigration. As we almost reached Rio Rico we passed through a bridge that was completely dark and that terrified me. It’s so dark that you don’t know where you’re walking, if there’s animals next to you. The people I traveled with would make fun of me because I kept praying. I would ask God for protection and they would respond “Where’s your God now?” I would tell them that he was listening and that we were going to arrive, regardless of not having water and being hungry. There came a point where we had to lay on the ground for almost two days waiting for the train to pass. After suffering from the cold I told them I couldn’t do it anymore; if the train didn’t leave I would stand up and turn myself in, because I wanted to see my children. Everything I did was for my children; I couldn’t stand not seeing them for another day. I missed them so much; they were all I thought of even though I knew they were okay.”

Día 3 de 40 La siguiente historia está basada en un hechos reales. En enero del 2009, una mujer actualmente de 37 años proveniente de Durango México atravesó el desierto de Arizona-Sonora.

“Crucé en Enero del 2009. Me fue muy mal porque me vine caminando desde Nogales hasta Sahuarita. El señor [que nos cruzo] quería pedirnos un tren pero nunca paso. Pasamos hambre, sed y muchísimo frío. Llegó un momento en donde pensé que me iba a dar hipotermia. No lo soportaba, mi cuerpo brincaba del frío. Duramos 5 días de Nogales para poder llegar a Sahuarita. Había muchos cerros y con un tropiezo te puedes caer y matar. Parece que ya vas a llegar al fin pero nunca llegas. Es muy difícil el tener que cuidarte de inmigración todo el tiempo. Casi para llegar a Río Rico pasamos un puente que estaba totalmente oscuro y me dio mucho miedo. Vas caminado y no sabes que te vas a encontrar si un animal o algo. Algo muy difícil es que [las personas con quien crucé] se burlaban mucho de mi porque yo oraba mucho y le pedía a Dios que nos protegiera. Me decían que dónde estaba mi Dios. Les contestaba que sí me escuchaba y sí íbamos a llegar a pesar de no tener agua y comida.

Duramos dos noches acostados esperando que pasara el tren. Después de tanto frío le dije [al coyote] que ya no podía. Que si no llegaba [el tren] que me iba a entregar porque ya quiera ver mis hijos. Lo hice por mis hijos porque ya no soportaba ir un día más sin verlos. Los extrañaba mucho, pensaba mucho en ellos pero sabía que estaban bien.”

3 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page